Do-It-Yourself Custom Putter Series: Milled Collection RSX 001

Nate Adelman

There are certain words that really get me going as it relates to golf equipment: “forged,” “precision milled,” and “high density prepreg” are a few that immediately come to mind. “Carbon steel” is definitely on that list as well; there is something magical about the soft feel and crisp sound that comes with a carbon steel putter head. Even beyond its admirable playing qualities, carbon steel offers a level of aesthetic customization that simply cannot be achieved with other materials.

Crafted from carbon steel, the new Odyssey Milled Collection RSX putters are an expression of what is possible with putter design in terms of performance, acoustics, feel, manufacturing, and materials. A sleek matte black PVD finish gives them a Tour preferred look while the milled carbon steel body gives it exceptional precision and feel. The new RSX insert with our Sound Chamber technology make the ball roll pure and sound even cleaner.

To honor the launch of this remarkable line of putters, I thought there would be nothing better than demonstrating some custom modifications that can be done to a carbon steel putter head. I had the privilege of creating a one-of-a-kind putter with each of the three head shapes that are offered in the RSX line and I’m calling it the Do-It-Yourself Custom Putter Series. Not only that, but I am going to show you how I did each customization and will hopefully inspire all the putter dorks aficionados out there to head to their garage and add some character to your putters as well.

Lastly, we are very interested in seeing some of the customizations that you have done with your clubs. If you have something that you are proud of, head over to this thread on Callaway Community and post a photo of what you created along with a short description. At the end of the month, we will pick our five favorites and community members will vote on which they like the best. The winner will receive a special prize (and you guys know we don’t mess around with prizes).

Important disclaimer: Almost everything I am going to outline below has the potential to ruin your putter (or worse, you) if done improperly. Please exercise caution when using any power tools, harsh chemicals, open flames, and toxic fumes. I recommend practicing on old clubs before irreversibly changing your gamer or your brand new Milled Collection RSX. Furthermore, Callaway will not be held responsible for any personal, physical, or material harm incurred or putters damaged while attempting any putter customizations. Keep in mind that any of these modifications other than re-gripping will void your warranty and Callaway will not replace or repair any subsequent damaged products. With that, be safe, have fun, and go make something unique!

Gettin’ It Done With 001

The 001 is such a gorgeous, classic blade head shape…but that doesn’t mean we can’t load it up with some technology to make it a bit more stable. We started with a raw head and my goal with this first project was to add the stability, feel, and performance of a counterbalance putter without the look, size and length of a traditional counterbalanced putter. So here we go…

1. Add Internal Head Weight
(Difficulty Level: Expert)

The bumpers at the heel and toe of the 001 allow for enough room to remove some of the soft carbon steel and replace it with heavier tungsten plugs. First we very carefully drilled out half-inch holes.

drill

Then we plugged the holes with half-inch tungsten plugs, a relatively heavier material. With stainless steel, the tight fit is typically enough to keep them in place and keep moisture out. Carbon steel, however, is a softer material and can rust, so we lined the holes in the sole with a clear epoxy. Once we pushed inserted the plugs, we used a vice to squeeze the plugs and push out any air behind the tungsten. After they dry, the plugs will stick out beyond the sole of the putter. Using a grinding wheel, we sanded down the plugs to be smooth with the sole of the putter (as seen below).

My goal was for the putter to weigh in around 360-365g so that we have enough weight to counterbalance the grip. It ended up coming out to 363 grams, which was perfect!

2. Adding Counterbalance
(Difficulty Level: Intermediate)

A really simple way to counterbalance a putter is to purchase a grip that has an adjustable weight built into the back of the grip, but the selection of grips that have this are very limited. Another option is to drill into your existing grip and add a weight such as a TourLock counter weight. This works on any grip but I wanted my counterbalance to be invisible. So I chose to add a 20g weight into the butt end of the shaft. This is a very easy process. Simply epoxy the weight directly into the shaft prior to gripping (as seen below). Once the weight is glued into the shaft, you will have to grind away the lip of the weight so that the grip can slide onto the shaft easily.

3. Paint Fill
(Difficulty Level: Easy)

Paint filling is an easy and awesome way to make your club POP (and draw envy from your playing partners/opponents.)

Simply fill the letters and lines that you want to paint with the color of your choice. Let it dry for a few minutes and then lightly wipe off the excess with acetone or paint thinner, depending on the type of paint you are using. A few tips:

– Use an oil based paint or acrylic paint for best results.
– You can use a brush, bottle with needle point, among other things to apply the paint.
– When you wipe off the excess paint it will smear, so start with the inner most areas you want to paint and work your way towards the perimeter. Also, wipe away from any other locations with fresh paint.
– After you have wiped it all clean, let it dry for a few hours and reapply as needed.

And voila, the finished product…

That’s it for the first part of the Do-It-Yourself Custom Putter Series. Stay tuned next week when we completely trick out a Milled Collection RSX V-Line Fang!

Acknowledgements:
I want to extend a big shout out to Dennis, Anthony, Wayne, Leo, Eddie, Filo, Espy, and Ramon (all from our Pro Tour team) who helped me out in the shop with all of the modifications that I wanted to make. Many of you are familiar with Anthony’s amazing work (just look at the guy’s Instagram page), but fewer of you are familiar with Dennis and his team. Dennis is the finest putter crasftsman that I have ever met. If a golfer can dream it, Dennis can build it even better than imagined…and always with a smile. He’s a magician in the shop and with his small team of wizards they are truly the unsung heroes behind every Odyssey win on Tour (and there’s a lot of those).

About
Nate has been called 'the smartest tinkerer since Ben Hogan himself' but is also interested in talking San Francisco Giants, different ways to grill chicken, woodworking, and crazy socks.
Showing 20 comments
  • Dave

Awesome tutorial! One quick question: how deep did you drill the holes?

Nate Adelman

I believe the holes were about 0.5″ deep. It is really really important to make sure that you do not go too deep with these holes and pop through the top of the putter. You have to measure 3 dimensions on your holes to make sure they go in the right spot and the right depth.

• braddman19

Gorgeous gorgeous putter with the paint fill stripped out of it!

• Jesse

Love my 001 it’s a fantastic putter. Very envious of the ability of the custom shop to add weight to the head like this. Any recommendations for shops that can provide this level of skill to putters owned by the non-tour golfing community?

• Chuck

Are these available on VIP?

Nate Adelman

The Milled Collection RSX should be on VIP soon if it is not there already.

Nate Adelman

I do not know if any third party that specializes in stuff like this, but I would bet a little internet research could find an outfit that could. All of the tools that we used are pretty standard work-shop tools. For adding the weight to the head, we used a pretty standard drill press and a metal drill bit. If you try it, make sure you have a very sharp drill bit because you have to go through the black PVD plating.

• Steve P ( junior)

GSI in San Marcos, or Putter lounge in Colorado can help you out, but these are all quite easily done DIY with the correct tools. Any local machine shop near you can easily mill out anything you’d like to remove to add weight w/ a heavier substrate.

For paint, simply use Deccocolor oil based paint pen, or tamaiya acrylic paints if you have the time to
      Let it dry, however the paint pen is a great and long lasting process done with relative ease.

• Kevin Varilek

Nate, you killed it with this! Pictures cannot do the this putter justice. Great article!

• Fred Zoun

Great DIY job! W
    Love my Odessy White Hot Rossie putter. Wondered if I could do something myself about the few air bubbles underneath the inlay.
    Thanks!

Nate Adelman

Thank you Fred! Sorry to hear you are having an issue with your putter. Can you please go on to the Callaway Community and start a thread with some photos of your putter? That will make it easier for us to diagnose for you. callawaygolf.com/community

Thank you!

• KennyV

This is great work and a great tutorial. I’ve been custom filling putters for a while. It’s fun to always have a new look. Where can I find a paint bottle with needle point? I’ve typically used automotive touch up paint that you can buy at an automotive store. its a heavy duty acrylic and has a tip that works like a ball point pen. Just think the needle point is better for large fills.

Nate Adelman

That’s a great question…I will try to find out where we get those from. When I have done it myself at home I have used both fine-tipped oil based or acrylic paint markers or normal acrylic paint with a really super fine chiseled paint brush.

• Steve P (junior)

“Creative hobbies” makes the needle to bottles with interchangeable tips with several needle size options. This is the brand Dennis used in the tour dept. same brand Vokey , betti, and Scotty use.

• Thai

What kind of paint is used on this?

Nate Adelman

You can use oil-based or acrylic paint and they both hold up pretty well.

• Jon Laws

Great article, and kudos to you for the shout out to Dennis & his team. Dennis is indeed a talented craftsman, who I had the pleasure of working with when I was the Odyssey Tour Rep for 12 years. He made hundreds of custom models for Tour Players we worked with, all making them better players. Well done

• Ken Mcintosh

Could you let me know if I can get a replacement red leather odyssey grip for my highway 101 putter as I damaged it in the trunk/boot of my car.

• Tom Dell

Where can I get one??

• Steve P (junior)

Dennis W is the man, the myth, the legend! I’ve Known/worked with/for him for years , I know when Ody is having a good year bc I’ll receive plenty of putters to gold plate for the major winners, been a ton of Mrs. Parks heads coming my way. Back in the day I’d see some from Luke, and just recently gold plated 3 heads for Mr Willit for that masters win. Each time a touring pro wins a major, Dennis will send in 3 putter heads of the model that said pro uses, one goes to the Player, one to Ody’s trophy case, and the 3rd I am not sure. Dennis does such an amazing job that Callaway / Ody actually went behind his back and sent me a cpl heads to gold plate as a gift for him. I believe it was a work anniversary gift or a gift for w certain amount of tour wind under his guidance. Once the heads were done, painted, shafted, I got a call from Dennis with a sincere ” Thank you”. It’s moment like these that make the hard work worth it. I also work on other golf companies putters, the mist “popular” putter maker in the world, not to name names, and in all honesty , Dennis and team have made working for Ody much more rewarding as well as an absolutele pleasure to be associated with. Dennis is always quick with a compliment and a laugh, outgoing, energetic , and just all around great guy. If you’d like to see the gold plated putters for Danny Willit and Mrs Park, you can view them on Instagram if you search my account – CA_golfballmarkers – there you will find before and after photos of the Ody putter heads from Dennis and the Tour dept. thanks for the great article!